Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Sunflower seeds and vinegar crackers


I recently posted a recipe for homemade crackers, but today I tried a new version without the eggs. In the new recipe, I used sunflower seeds instead of walnuts (there is no reason, I just had too many seeds and not enough walnuts). I also added apple cider vinegar.  Considering my adherence to healthy ingredients, the result was excellent.

The finished product
You will need:
1 cup oats, 1 cup sunflower seeds (I used roasted, but raw might be better), 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour, ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (you can use any vinegar), ¼ cup olive oil, 3 heaping Tbsp yogurt, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, optional spices (e.g., turmeric, caraway seeds, cayenne pepper, etc.). 

Preparation:
Mix together oats, seeds, flour, salt, baking soda, turmeric, cayenne pepper and caraway seeds. In a separate bowl, mix yogurt, vinegar and oil. Combine the two mixes by hand, divide into two equal parts, and transfer to two oiled cookie sheets. Press down the dough as thin as possible. Do not cut the dough. Bake for approximately 12 minutes at 400F, then turn the sheets of dough upside down and bake another 1-2 minutes or until golden-brown color. My crackers were almost ready by the time I turned the dough upside down, so I turned off the heat at 15 minutes of total baking time (the baking time would depend upon your oven and the thickness of the dough)

After cooling, break the dough into pieces and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment