Sunday, November 20, 2016

Nerve shattering sugar effects



I just watched Jamie's Sugar Rush, a documentary available on YouTube. I had to divert my eyes during several graphic scenes: the extraction of rotting teeth from little children under full anesthesia and the amputated limbs of diabetics.

As a parent I had a wake-up call when my child got her first cavity and I needed to discuss the problem with the dentist. We established that the only reason for this cavity must have been the fact that we were giving our girl too much orange juice throughout the day. We stopped. Eight years ago I also stopped consuming my morning glass of orange juice. Later, my husband and child also ditched the juice.

Of course, removing fruit juice and soda from our diet is not the only thing we are doing. I try to remove all of the added sugar, or as much as possible. I read the labels on every food item I buy, you should too. 


Protect yourself and your children. 

You do not want to end up helpless, hopeless, decrepit victim in the hands of our health care system.

Here are again the rules of anti-obesity for children (these apply for adults as well):


1. Get rid of every sugared liquid in the house. Children should drink only water and milk.


2. Provide at least five servings of vegetables and/or fruit a day (this equals to about five handfuls).

3. Serve individual portions. Serve a second portion only if the child still insists to be hungry after waiting for 20 minutes.

4. Children should have at least 60 minutes of physical activity every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment