Saturday, November 19, 2016

Cabbage meal



Where I grew up, vegetarian dishes were popular and constituted 6/7th of the weekly menu (only on Sundays we had a bit of meat, but it was always cooked with of heaps of vegetables).

Although I love vegetarian dishes, I hated cabbage meal, so once on my own, I never cooked it, .... that is – until now. One day, at work someone was warming his lunch and it smelled like cooked cabbage. It drove me insane. The following weekend I bought a cabbage and re-created the dish from my childhood. I savored it, but my family was lukewarm to the dish, to say the least. The recipe is below if you want to try it. In addition to having compounds that lower cholesterol and kill cancer cells, cabbage is high in fiber and cheap. It should be a staple in a healthy diet. For more information on the beneficial effects of cabbage, read this post.

Cabbage dish

You will need one large onion, one can tomatoes (any type, 15 oz or larger), one medium size cabbage, 4 Tbsp olive oil, and spices. Dice the onion and soften it in the heated oil. Chop the cabbage and add it to the pot with the onion. Stir and let it soften with the oil. Once the cabbage has softened, add some water to prevent burning and a can of tomatoes (sauce or chopped tomatoes, any size of can). I also add paprika, salt, hot pepper flakes or black pepper. Let the cabbage simmer until completely soft and most of the water is absorbed. I serve the dish with a crust of bread and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment