Sunday, November 27, 2016

Christmas season: a time for be a woman, a mother, and a homemaker

On weekends and every day after work I remind myself that I am not only a researcher in academia, but also a woman, mother, and homemaker

Just a few years ago, I did not sense the urge for a balance between these roles. With age, however, I became wiser, which does not mean that I have achieved the goal. The work-life balance is always elusive when one has "too much on the plate".

And yet, thinking about work-life balance is the first step toward achieving it.

What should true balance look like? True balance to me means the following:

First, I should take good care of myself, my physical health, emotional balance, and appearance.This is not a selfish act - if you do not help yourself first, you cannot help anyone else around you. Remember the rule about the oxygen mask when on board of a plane.

Second, I have a wonderful girl who brings an amazing new world to me. As she grows, I learn along with her, and these days, in many aspects I learn from my teenager. I would love to be the best mom there is, I would also love to protect whatever is left of my girl's childhood. Speaking of motherhood, in the past I liked visiting the Design Mom blog. Today I rarely have the time, but it is a nice website that reminds women of what it means to be a mom.

Third, I like being a homemaker. I love decorating, cleaning, and experimenting in the kitchen. I am also an avid gardener and love Nature. House and surroundings should be in harmony and create a space of refuge, comfort, self-improvement and inspiration. Inspiration is why I love changing the home decor (without buying anything new, of course). In the past year, I moved the furniture in my living room 3 or 4 times. My rule is, keep it fluid, dynamic, and fresh. Housekeeping should be fun, not drudgery.


Am I accomplished in all my roles? No, I am not. But one day I feel good about cleaning the house, the next day I am satisfied with my research work, and on an occasional evening my meal on the table might be acknowledged to be well cooked. I am not perfect, but I am inspired.

Have a wonderful, healthy, and inspirational holiday season! 
 
The snow angel overlooking our living room

It is starting to look like Christmas

Keep those pickle jars...

Santa to the rescue

A bit of magic on the tree

A bit of humor on the tree

No comments:

Post a Comment