Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Stress busters


"Ingemar Johansson and Floyd Pattersson 1959" by SCANPIX - hd.se. Licensed under Public Domain via Commons - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ingemar_Johansson_and_Floyd_Pattersson_1959.JPG#/media/File:Ingemar_Johansson_and_Floyd_Pattersson_1959.JPG
For some of us, the workdays feel like a boxing match, during which we are sequentially or simultaneously pummeled by several people. And there is no referee to save us. For some stay-at-home parents, the days are not easier. Remember, stress not only reduces our physical and mental capabilities, lowers our quality of life, but it also causes serious illnesses. For the past three years I have been trying to find out what alleviates stress and the pressure built during the workday. Here I share what works or may work for me; hopefully, my quest would be useful to some of you.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Strand_paget.jpg#/media/File:Strand_paget.jpg  1. Mystery books. These books do not offer wisdom
1. Mystery books. These books do not offer wisdom, deep conclusions, novel knowledge or anything useful. However, they have an entertaining plot and I just follow it. If you can read these while on a treadmill, even better. So, head for the library!

2. Movies, but not the good ones. The very good movies are so emotionally involving that I feel more stressed after watching them. To de-stress, I choose something absolutely predictable, like a romantic movie (the chick flick category). “Predictable” means that within the first few minutes of the movie I can guess the ending. Since this can get boring, sometimes I knit or cook while watching. Do not get stuck in the chair during the movie: you can work out in front of the screen.

3. The fake smile. Force your facial features into a smile and keep the grimace there. For a bizarre reason the fake-smiling sends signals to the brain that we feel OK. This is quite applicable at work.

4. Pinterest. I accumulate a list of boards that calm me down. In my case, these are images of gardens, gorgeous flowers, awesome landscapes, flights and planes, skies and clouds, and nature frozen by winter.

5. Do nothing (that is, stop doing whatever you are doing). Sometimes simply doing nothing is the best de-stressor. Just stare from the window (if there is a view) or take a walk alone. Sounds a bit aimless, but stopping the mad rush and the constant stream of information helps.

6. Unleash your imagination, play.

Hobby is the code name for “games for grown-ups”. My biggest stress-buster is working in the garden; however, living in zone 5 U.S. means that gardening is not an option for half of the year. I try to stay creative with other “playthings” in winter – knitting, decorating, etc. 

 
7. Coloring books for adults. Coloring is the new meditation. I am yet to try it.

 

8. Laugh. Find a good comedy show on Internet and laugh, laughter is a medicine.

 

9. Sky-gazing. When was the last time you stared at the sky without hurrying? When I was a child, I used to watch the sky and discover colors and fantastic creatures in the clouds. The best sky- watching was when mom and dad held my hands and I walked between them. Then I could look up the sky with no fear of tripping. 


10. Warm showers. If you do not mind the water and gas/oil bill, try longer warm showers. This type of relaxation encourages the diffuse brain mode.

11.
The wind of change. Change activities every 60-90 Such approach seems to sustain sanity and increase the feeling of fulfillment.  

12. Imagery. Do you have a tranquil and uplifting moment or image from the past?  In times of stress, bring the image back and relive it. For me, this is a moment of my childhood, when I found myself alone in the wildest part of a garden bursting with colors and shapes. I knelt down, and suddenly, I was smaller than the flowers. And as I became smaller and smaller, there was nothing but the buzz of the garden – the birds, the slight breeze and the bees, all immersed in a perfect co-existence of summer warmth and calm.

13. Never multitask. Multitasking is bad for you and for your job performance; therefore, do not even attempt it.

14. Gossip. I suspect that one big stress buster for the women in the past was gossiping.  After house chores were done, women in the neighborhood would get together for hours and while embroidering or knitting, they would gossip. For me this one does not work; in fact, gossip tires me and makes me feel uncomfortable.

15. I have not tried aromatherapy, meditation, music, lights, deep breathing, bubble baths, or massage. I am sure that these work too. Also, check the videos below - they could be helpful.



Actionable
Let us know how you de-stress, by sharing we can find the most effective ways to recover our identity after a day of "pummeling".  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment