Saturday, December 19, 2015

Happy Holidays with a chocolate recipe




Happy holidays, from us and the bunny in our backyard (the one that eats most of my flowers, carrots, and lettuces). To indulge your palate during the holidays, and to have a homemade gift to give, I have prepared a recipe for chocolate clusters. They are easy to make and  healthy, if consumed in moderation. 

Ever since I watched the famous lecture of Dr. Lustig, MD, “Sugar the bitter truth”, I have become aware of how much sugar there is even in products that we do not suspect of having sugar as an ingredient (example: canned beans, tomato soup, etc.). Although I have reduced my sugar intake to the minimum, and started to drink my morning without sugar, for Christmas I decided to experiment with my only indulgence: chocolate, which is inevitably accompanied by some sugar.  

Below is my chocolate-walnut cluster recipe, result of my effort to make a healthy Christmas treat. In the spirit of the Mayan and Aztec, the clusters have cayenne pepper, which seems to have countless health benefits, among which are clearing the mucus when you have congestion, quenching your migraines and allergies, and boosting your weight loss. I also added turmeric, the active ingredient of which, curcumin, is used against depression, pain, and inflammation; it also regulates blood glucose levels and may exert anti-cancer activities. The clusters have increased contents of cocoa, which is good for your mind and mood, and increases your cardiovascular fitness. The benefits of incorporating walnuts in your diet were already discussed in a previous post. Here is the recipe:

 Chocolate clusters
For this recipe you will need: 1.5 cups chopped walnuts, 1.5 cups chocolate chips (I used Nestle’s semi-sweet morsels), 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (the amount depends on how spicy you like it), 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric, and 4 teaspoons of cocoa powder (for baking, without sugar in it).
 

Assemble a double boiler, if you do not have one. I use a saucepan with an inch of cold water in it, and on top I put a heat-resistant dry glass bowl. The glass bowl is not in contact with the water, and is kept dry at all times. Once the assembly is ready, turn on the heat and pour the chocolate chips into the glass bowl. Mix the chips with a wooden or rubber spatula. As they start to melt, reduce the heat to the lowest setting or turn the heat off. Once the chocolate is smooth, add the powders (cayenne pepper, turmeric, cocoa), mix, and then add the walnuts. The clusters are made by spooning the desired amount onto parchment paper. I use a teaspoon of the mixture to make a single cluster, and from the listed ingredients above, the yield is maximum 20 small clusters. The treats set in within 2-3 hours at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment