Thursday, December 17, 2015

Spicy walnuts - yes, please


Do you like the taste of Hot Buffalo Wings? 
I am talking about the Hot Buffalo Wings pretzel pieces, not the chicken. Sometimes I find myself tempted by the Snyder’s of Hanover brand: the pretzels are spicy, salty, and a bit sour. During winter, when my throat is sore, a small pack of Hot Buffalo Wings pretzels soothes the pain immediately. However, snacking on pretzels is not high on my list of healthy eating habits. So, I decided to make my own spicy walnuts. Walnuts are good for almost everything, it seems; therefore, when I crave some spicy food, why not have a few hot walnuts? Below is my recipe that may work for other nuts as well.

To two cups of walnuts I added 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a splash of hot sauce (ingredients: aged red cayenne peppers, distilled vinegar, salt, xanthan gum) and a dash of ground cayenne pepper. Baked the nuts at 300⁰F for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes with a wooden spatula. I let the walnuts cool completely, and stored them in a jar in the refrigerator. 


Extra tips
For the hot sauce to stick better to the nuts, add a tablespoon of corn starch or arrow root powder.  Also, if you end up adding too much hot sauce, you may need to bake the nuts longer or at a bit higher temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment