Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Winter dreams about gardens, books, and seeds




I admit that winter is difficult time for me, especially after the December holidays are over, and the months of January and February stretch into an endless repeat of monotonous, bleak and bitter-cold days.

To lift my spirits, I escape to the books. They provide a delightful entertainment that is difficult to find anywhere else. Movies, media, even everyday interactions are punctuated by stupidity, unpleasantness and divisiveness.

For the past couple of years, one great escape has been in reading Rhys Bowen's books (real name, Janet Quin-Harkin). I have read the books from all three series: Constable Evan Evans, Lady Georgiana, and Molly Murphy. The stories are catchy, true to human psychology and entertaining. All are mysteries.

I was surprised to learn that Bowen has also written books under her real name, and among these bestsellers were books for young adults. Maybe next time I visit the local library, I will stop at the section for young adults (… this is the extent of my addiction to Bowen’s style).

Recently, I looked at the author’s website and read her bio.

I felt quite inadequate when I found that in addition to being super-prolific and successful as a writer, Bowen was also a mother of four! 

To remind myself that life has some meaning, during my winter blues I watch whatever free episodes of BBC’s “Gardener’s World” are available on YouTube. I probably can watch the episodes several times and never bcome bored. I am a garden aficionado – in the warmer months I am trying to create a whimsical and unique garden around my house. Here are pictures of my garden's glory (as well as here, and here, and here, etc. )


Charting and planning the future garden projects is a favorite pastime. A few days ago, I bought my favorite seeds for wildflowers from the local Dollar Tree store. I have already tried these seeds in the past two years and the result was delightful. I was surprised by a riot of flower shapes and colors that I cannot find in any local nursery.

Well, this is the burner that keeps me going through the winter: books, garden shows and seeds.  How about you? What keeps you going during the cold months?

No comments:

Post a Comment