Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easter and Spring

This Easter morning, after breakfast I found myself looking at the garden from our huge living room window. 

Autumn Joy

The window overlooks the front garden and although the view is delightful, I have never had time in the morning to stop all the busy work and enjoy the garden. This Easter morning was different - I did most of the chores on Saturday.







I do not know if the life in our Spring garden is always as busy as it was this morning, but it seemed like nature put a show for me. 





 

There was a riot of birds. I saw at least five species, including a gorgeous cardinal, a blue jay, and a few doves. Some birds were looking for food, others were just perched on the ornamental bushes.There were also three couples (I recognized a pair of robins) busy in courting, playing, and following each other. 




 
With the binoculars I followed the minute details of the frantic Sunday morning activity: the little sparrows were carrying bits of dry grass in their beaks (probably for a nest), and the rest of the birds were attacking something invisible on the soil and the grass (I guess seeds and worms?).

 







There was one overly energetic squirrel, digging everywhere. In 20 minutes, it "searched" the entire front garden circling around like a little fluffy blizzard. Twice the squirrel found nuts; I wonder if these were previously hidden by the animal. We do not have a single nut tree on the block.




I remember reading about a Japanese study that simply looking at nature from the window affects the physiology in a positive way: the blood pressure goes down, and the life outlook/mood improves.








No comments:

Post a Comment