Sunday, December 10, 2017

Outside my paycheck prison

"Busy but not productive", this describes my everyday work life for the past six months. Despite that there is no satisfaction in what I do, I need the paycheck. As a result, I have been completely depleted in terms of time, and in terms of contributing with anything useful to this blog. My everyday experiences at work are also demoralizing; therefore, I actively seek sources of moral and ethical strength, and optimism when I am outside my paycheck prison.

In the evenings, I try to replenish my spiritual life by listening to talks and podcasts, usually delivered by wise men. It helps somewhat, and I have recently shared some of my favorites.

Today I have a Google talk to share. Google talks are always good, but this one is a top-notch, Frank Abagnale: "Catch Me IfYou Can" | Talks at Google:



First, I listened to the talk by myself, then I listened to it again with my family. I have not seen the movie based upon the life of Frank Abagnale, but I am glad that I have not. It is so much better to first understand what is there behind the dynamic and astonishing story of a swindler. And behind the façade, is the story of a child whose entire world of family, school and love suddenly collapses. And as the story goes, the loss of love turns into pain, and then miraculously, the pain is transformed into love.

There are many life lessons in the 27-minute narrative: the love of a parent and its impact on the children, the reminder that at 16, our children still do lots of stupid, inconsiderate things and we, the parents, become easily disappointed at them, the lesson of meaningless and sudden death, the lesson of rebirth when one can finally reveal his identity and and be loved for who he truly is.

I am looking forward to listening to all questions that follow Frank's narrative, as I walk by my Christmas tree in my living room:








No comments:

Post a Comment