Monday, May 30, 2016

Memorial Day 2016 - the garden is in bloom

Clematis peeking into my deck.
After a few hot days, the garden is in full bloom. It will be a non-stop show from now through October. This is the season I live for.

It is difficult to believe that only 15 days ago we had squalls of snow here (zone 5, US).
 

For the past year, I have seeded wild flowers in my backyard, and now I am using this website to identify the flowers as they bloom. I find it utterly delightful to be surprised every few days by new flower colors and shapes. And all this magic garden came from a couple of mixed seeds boxes from the local dollar store. Today I was able to identify wild blue flax and plains wallflower.

Sweet William, is came with the wild flower mix and it seems that I will have at least three different colors of it.

Wild blue flax (Linum lewisii), a wild flower with profusion of blooms. On the background is the vibrant orange of the plains wallflowers, Erysimum capitatum (they have been the first ones to bloom here, in zone 5, US)

The honeysuckle will bloom soon. I almost killed it last year, long story... I am glad it is back.

Lovely irises. Love the blue hues.

My Geranium macrorrhizum is a bit domineering, but it is easy to remove


No comments:

Post a Comment