Saturday, January 16, 2016

Getting old and cranky…a pledge to my child


Disclaimer:
This post falls into the somewhat-serious category

Have you noticed that at old age, our once-minor defects frequently balloon into huge liabilities, and our once-slightly annoying habits and opinions grow into stumbling roadblocks in socializing and communicating? We start to project our insane ideas, way of thinking and logic onto the surrounding people, relatives, and friends. For example, if we have been a bit suspicious and unhappy in the past, in the last years of life, we start to accuse everyone else in the same behavior and attitude.

In addition, as we age:

  • We become complainers
  • We develop paranoia about different things
  • We grow selfish, we stop asking “How are you doing?” Instead, we start all sentences with “I”
  • We do silly things without thinking about the consequences
  • We start to indulge on sweets and chocolates
  • We hide our money
  • We hoard things
  • We pee our panties
  • And we do who-knows-what-else (in fact, I do not want to know)

Some of this behavior is due to physiological and neurodegenerative changes that cannot be stopped  (as of today). However, I wrote this in order to remember: in case I do reach old age, I must protect my child from my older version.

No comments:

Post a Comment