Saturday, March 11, 2017

Weekend cooking: Moussaka


My moussaka does not look like the ones on the gourmet websites, but what matters is that I know what my meal has been cooked with and how.


My mom used to make the most delicious deep-dish moussaka. 


The house smelled divine with the fragrances of tomatoes, onion, and baked red peppers. Her recipe included many ingredients. She also dedicated sufficient time to neatly arrange the layers of meat and potatoes in the baking dish.

Once I started living on my own, I tried to replicate the taste, if not the esthetics of the dish. The recipe below captures the taste of moussaka, but it is faster to prepare than the version my mom labored on.


 

Moussaka

You need:

1 Tbsp of olive oil
2 medium sweet onions (diced)
5 - 6 garlic cloves (crushed)
1 lb ground turkey (lean)
8-10 medium size potatoes (any potatoes you like), peeled and diced into small cubes
1 can crushed tomatoes (30 oz) or other type of tomatoes
spices: salt, black pepper, paprika, winter savory (optional)
For the topping:  4 eggs, 2 cups of yogurt, 2 Tbsp flour, salt, 1/3 tsp of baking soda
Instructions:
Soften the onion and garlic in the oil. To the same pan add the meat. Cook until it is no longer pink. In a baking pan, mix together the meat, potatoes and tomatoes, and season. If the mixture is dry, add 2 cups of water. Bake at 400°F until the meat and potatoes are cooked. For the topping, beat the eggs with the yogurt, add the flour, salt and baking soda. Mix to smooth and pour on top of the baking pan. Continue baking until the crust becomes golden-brown color.

I serve the dish with a scoop of plain yogurt on the side and salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment